It’s no secret that moving can be stressful. Some of that stress may be unavoidable, since uprooting from one home and planting yourself in another can be jarring. However, there are clear ways to lower the anxiety that comes with such an event. Use the following six tips to learn how to move with less stress and more confidence:
- Get organized. People often feel anxious because they feel out of control. Take control of your moving situation by creating a to-do list and a calendar stating when you plan to accomplish each task. Give yourself plenty of time to finish everything on the list.
- Do your research. In order to understand how to move and what needs to go on your to-do list, you’ll have to research the moving process. There are plenty of moving checklists online that you can use as a basis for your own. Furthermore, there are lots of moving tools online, including moving calculators to help you figure out the cost of your move and how many moving supplies you’ll need to purchase.
- Ask for help. There’s nothing more stressful than feeling alone in a situation. Remedy that by asking your friends and family to pitch in. Plan a packing party or ask for help in running your moving sale. Every little bit helps!
- Keep costs at a minimum. Stress usually increases as costs rise. If your budget is a primary concern, try to find ways of limiting your costs, such as borrowing moving supplies from friends. Decluttering your home as you pack is another way to save – the less you have to move, the less time it will take to load and the less your shipment will weigh overall.
- Have a Plan B. In moving, as in life, the unexpected can occur – your car can break down, you can get sick a week before moving day or any other number of events could occur. This reminder isn’t meant to scare you, but prepare you. Figure out now how you will handle the unexpected, and work ahead if possible to accomplish tasks before the absolute deadline. In other words, give yourself wiggle room if you can.
- Take time for you. Anytime we’re completely focused on a task, it can wear us down. The same is true of the moving process, which can be completely draining if you don’t stop and recharge. Plan for times to de-stress, pamper yourself, and make sure you’re getting enough sleep. Don’t spend every spare moment packing and prepping – you’ll only wear yourself out before moving day.
For more assistance in learning how to move, or for help on moving day, contact North American Van Lines. With more than 80 years of experience, we can take the stress off your plate and help you enjoy the moving process!