For large screen televisions and other electronics, special preparation is required.
If the original carton and packing materials are no longer available, you may need to crate your items prior to moving day. If the item can fit in a different sturdy carton, line it with plenty of Styrofoam or newsprint paper before packing. Seal securely and mark "Extremely Fragile" on the carton.
When packing a personal computer, scanner, printer or other equipment:
- Back up all computer files
- Remove all ink and toner cartridges
- Label all cables and wires for easy reassembly
- Detach all connecting wires, removable paper feeders/holders from all hardware and wrap monitors
- Consult user manuals for additional instructions or file storage recommendations
- Pack speakers in well-cushioned dish pack boxes
Label cords and cables so you know where they go and pack them in the same box as the equipment they go with.
- Pack books of the same size together, in small book cartons.
- Bound volumes or those of sentimental value should be individually wrapped
- Pack them flat or with the spine touching the bottom of the carton.
Any modular office furniture needs to be dismantled before moving day. Use tape to mark where pieces go together and keep the hardware together in one spot.
If applying for a mortgage, gather your financial paperwork before you move: pay stubs, bank records, etc.