If you’re an employer, you likely have a relocation policy in place for new employees and those employees transferring to another branch of your company. Such a policy should ensure a smooth transition for the employee and their belongings. After all, a move is a big step for anyone, and can be a stressful experience for your employees. In order to be sure your employees are taken care of during the relocation process, follow these three steps:
- Give them a point of contact. Whether it’s their new manager or a human resources representative, employees need someone they can call if they have a question regarding the relocation process. Having a single point of contact will also keep the move more organized overall.
- Provide them the details. Nothing is more frustrating for an employee than not understanding what is expected of them during the relocation process. For example, are they required to find their own movers, or does the company arrange for movers? And if the employee is required to find movers, how much money will the company provide for the relocation?
- Put everything in writing. Create a document that gives answers to frequently asked questions regarding the relocation process. Then you can give it to each employee and add any information specific to him or her.
It’s also important to be sure an employee’s belongings are cared for during a move. Your company may select the moving company your employees use during relocation, or simply recommend reputable companies and allow the employees to choose. Either way, you’ll need to know what to look for in a moving company. Some specifics include a company that:
- Is registered with the local provincial or national government.
- Provides a written in-home estimate.
- Carries insurance.
- Informs you of any hidden fees or surcharges.
- Has an abundance of great online reviews.
- Has years of experience.
If you’re looking for a reputable relocation company that’s worked all over the nation, look no further than North American Van Lines. With more than 80 years of experience, we’ve helped thousands of employees relocate with ease. Contact us today for a free quote.