Moving abroad is something many dream about and few get to do. If you’re lucky enough to be one of the few, rejoice! It’s tempting to get anxious at the thought of leaving the familiar behind, but remember the great adventure that awaits you. Going overseas doesn’t have to completely rock your world. Consider these tips when moving abroad:
- Keep calm…and stay organized. Organization is the key to staying focused and keeping stress low during a move. Prepare a to-do list – including items like applying for your visas, purchasing supplies, packing, finding a new place to live overseas, etc. – and make sure that each item gets checked off your list in a timely manner.
- Find out what to expect. If you’re moving abroad, chances are you’re headed somewhere with a culture that is far different from your own. Take some time to research your destination country’s food, language, customs, etc. Prepare in advance so you aren’t taken by surprise.
- Research the customs process. The last thing you want is for your belongings to get stuck in customs, unable to enter your destination country. Be sure to find out upfront what you can and cannot bring into the country. You’ll save yourself a lot of time, energy and grief.
- Set up a bank account. If you’ll be receiving funds in your destination country, you’ll need to set up an account there. However, you’ll want to keep open your domestic account and have enough funds for a month after arrival. In addition, make sure your bank knows you’re moving abroad so it doesn’t put a freeze on your account.
- Get help. If all of this seems too much to figure out on your own, that’s okay. Consider hiring a moving company like North American Van Lines to assist you with your international move. We have decades of experience helping people just like you relocate overseas, and understand all the details that accompany such a move.
For more information on moving abroad – and to find out how North American can help – contact us today!